Saturday 5 April 2014

We didn't talk today

But I will tell you what happened to me today.

I woke up at 6. Exactly at 6 and I was so lazy to move away from my comfortable sofa bed. It was Saturday so the landlord would not come to collect the monthly bill. I fell asleep again, I dreamt of you bringing me a cup of coffee and a sandwich for breakfast. Just in time I was about to eat, I woke up again.

I decided to move and get up, got myself a quick shower and checked my email. Nothing. Not from you, not from work. This kind of morning was rare. I usually wake up earlier and do a morning jog. Today I just didn't have the spirit to. So after a shower I tuned in to my telly, nothing was interesting.

The fridge was empty, I dragged myself to the nearest convenient store, but in the halfway there, I remembered I did not bring my wallet, so I stepped back home. On my way home, I saw the dog you used to take care of when he was sick. The puppy has turned into a dog now, and he seemed well. I wondered if you came by around here just to take care of him but didn't bother to let me know. I didn't think of it much. I just grabbed my wallet and run back a bit faster than before to the store.

After making at least three turns inside the store, I walked back home. I walked quite slowly I remember, there was no you to help me carry those heavy vegetables and fruit. A little bit struggling but finally I made it home with a twisted ankle when I climbed a tiny stair near my home entrance. Again, there was no you to remind me to slow down from jumping on and off to find the key in my pocket.

I cooked a simple soup and baked myself an onion bread. I watched my favourite DVDs and poured a glass of guava juice. It spilled, of course, as always, and this time I wiped the table and the clothes myself. I felt a small relief that I didn't get to hear anyone saying "you couldn't go on any day without messing with anything, could you?" then I smiled. I think it was okay to spill juice sometimes, it was sticky after a while but I managed to clean it.

In the evening, there was an email beeping. I literally hit my foot to the table as I rushed to check my laptop. It wasn't from you, the twisted ankle and the painful foot was not worth it. A breaking news. From my relative. About you.

I sorted my ankle and read the email at the same time. I couldn't breathe for a while. You got into an accident. On your way home. I stopped doing anything for at least one minute, staring at the laptop screen and repetitiously read the part "he is on his way up to the hospital now, I think there was something wrong with his car, I'll let you know when he's up later"

I sat in silence. Awake alone. Writing this. Now I know why we didn't talk today.
And I miss you.