Friday 14 March 2014

I dedicate this award to my parents.



So I was asked (or slightly pushed) by a senior lecturer in my uni where I work to join a speech contest. It was a 5-minutes presentation competition. I thought "oh shit what would I say? this sounds like an academic smart pants event" then I said "oke deh ma'am saya coba ya" for all I hope this is just like a bully thing for new lecturers. I like talking anyway, I just need to find a good topic that I could master and present.

After thinking and browsing for a while, I was reminded to this funny and interesting ad about bus and I tried to relate it with a theory that is not too hard but also interesting. Ta da~ I came up with a rhetoric approach on advertising!

On the D-day of the competition, it was a Lecturers Convention btw, I was bloody nervous. I drawed as the very last contestant to present and my fellow lecturers were all so prepared and when it came to my turn, I barely felt my knees. I was sooooooo nervous as I knew all the audiences will be the judge and vote for the winner, and all of them are Professors, Doctors and senior lecturers. MAN!!! One of my friend was presenting about political campaign and another competitor was talking about something philosophical meanwhile I was only trashing about advertising and an old theory about rhetoric. So so so so undermined.

When it came to my turn, I just danced, figuratively on stage. For only five minutes, I cannot be serious and formal, so I spoke in English where I could hide all my asshole-ness in speaking frankly, and I was glad the audience understood what I was saying although I believe I spoke a little bit too fast, but most of them nodded and smiled, that's more than enough.

I received a quite well applause when I step off from the stage and relieved it was over. After a short-break, I WAS ANNOUNCED AS THE WINNER!!!! Hurrah!
I didn't know how to feel, I did not feel or think I was about to win at all, so I was pretty shocked and happy at the same time. Mom, Dad, this is for you :)