Monday 7 May 2012

what people might see, not understand.

My boyfriend has just recovered from an accident during his field research around Hokkaido nuclear power plant, Japan. I drove him home and saw his family were prepared to welcome him back. It was not that I am not proud of him and his current study about earth and space, it's just the glacier and meltwater point that worry me a lot. I stand unbreakable upon the distance between us since two years ago. Not that I am faithful or he's just unconcerned about keeping up to our relationship, it's just what I feel about him that bothers me.

So, Takeo is a scientist. He focused on earth and climate studies in our country's best Science and Technology University. We met in the library three years ago, during my part time job as a librarian and his Masters accomplishment. After a year chasing up to each other ignorance, we finally hooked up under the beautiful Manhattan sky in early August. He was not that romantic, he was doing things once or twice to make the occasion special; and that is romantic to me. I, in contrast, am very delightful and full of surprise. I could come up crawling under his lab desk and served him hot spaghetti and cappuccino during his tiring night and experiment.

He started his field trips last year, from Morocco to Spain to Greenland and now to Japan. I don't want to discuss what my friends and family think about him; he is special to me and so I am to him. Until last month's accident in Hokkaido, it was really shocking. He fell off the hotel balcony in the thirteenth floor, down to the pavement which was luckily crossed by a set of laundry hangers. He survived.

Lots of sympathy and condolences came over my voice mail, social network and phones to greet me and asked if Takeo was okay. I told them the event was nothing related to his research, it was totally an accident in the hotel where he stayed. I mean, at least, that's what I've been told by Takeo's field assistant.

I caught the earliest flight to Japan and found out that he actually fell from the lab's balcony. I was in the highest temper, finding his assistant and seek for further explanation. He heedlessly answered my angry question and ended up elaborating how Takeo did not want to make me worry. I was shocked, no longer attempting to consider my left brain, I ran to Takeo in the hospital. I feed him the fish porridge, his favourite. Asking rapidly until finally he realised that I found out about his real accident. He tried to convince me that it was totally his mistake and there was no point of questioning and protesting the location of his field laboratory, everything was built in temporary aim and no long-term objectives.

I asked if his vision to our relationship is a long-term one or not. He nodded. I saw his head covered in a white cotton, he is still smart, I believe. And again, another rare sentence came out of his mouth "uchi no kokoro ga ittaindakedo, anta no eigao ga kursurinanda"
"Agepoyo!" I almost burst into laugh in that silent hospital. I was blushed for a minute before I urge him to say it again slower. He refused. I smiled, he did too. Told you, he always does things once or twice to make me special. Just another way of loving in reverse to mine.

Flown back from Hokkaido, we emerged ourselves to a rented apartment near his office. I just wanted to make sure he got the fastest and shortest and safest way during his recovery months. As always, I would raise my sacrifice by having much longer distance from out apartment to my office so he could really consider another field research offer, especially those that get him away from home. He is always negotiable and compromised, he sees what I am trying to make him see, although sometimes it might take harder to make him understand why. But that's what people do; fight for the beliefs. I do so.

His family stayed for a week to help me take care of him and he was really uncomfortable surrounded by people who might sacrificed themselves just for him, including me. He just could not resist the importance and necessity of assistant due to Doctor's advise though. I won over his individuality, again.It's not that he doesn't like to be loved and taken care of, he just doesn't want to make a fuse in everyone's life. To him, just me is enough, no matter how struggled I am telling him that other people may care too. He just does not care. That is sweet at some point, at another, it's just childish and selfish. Whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment