Sunday 9 September 2012

towards the other world.

I was sitting on my couch, a laptop on my lap and a cuppa on the table next to the couch. Typical winter evening, waiting for my husband to come home. Suddenly my phone beeped and there are two incoming messages; "happy anniversary" and "looking forward to your surprised face when I come home later". I smiled. I kept typing my annual report which deadline was the week after.


A knock on my door startled me because no one's supposed to be home by this early, especially not my husband. It turned out my mom having a surprise visit on my birthday. I put down my laptop and clear up my coffee table, she hated my coffee habit. "My baby girl now turned 30, and I am so proud of your independence and beauty", she hugged me as if I was a 7-year-old girl. I frowned at her surprise. "Mom, stop treating me like this! My husband's gonna be home in no time and I want you to leave, now!" I hissed at her and could tell her painful face hearing me saying it. I didn't think she's mad, she knew I was the one who's mad.


I picked up the ringing phone on my kitchen wall, "is everything okay? Mom's on her way there to company you tonight" it was my brother with his soft but eager voice, "happy birthday!" I smiled finally, he arranged mom's visit to my house tonight. I knew he was always thoughtful and caring, such a big brother I love the most. Mom baked me very fast birthday cake with my favourite vanilla icing. I suddenly fell in love with her again.


"This year, you're gonna get more presents than the last year! You're being such a nice girl" Mom sliced me a tiny bit of the birthday cake and let me finish it by one spoon. We talked all night long and I suddenly missed my husband very much. Where is he?



"Your brother said 'hi' to you" Mom has just got off from her phone call when I washed the dishes. I threw the spoons that I've just washed to the sink. "He already told me that! He called me earlier this evening! Why would he said that again to you?" I was a bit nervous and yelled a bit. Mom was shocked but I didn't care. I left the dishes and ran into my bedroom. I was relieved my laptop was there and my coffee was still drinkable. I continued my annual report. This thing was annoying. I was still waiting for my husband to come home and give me surprise, out anniversary surprise.



I heard a knock from the living room. I ran really fast as if a dog was trying to bite me. It must be him! It must be my husband. I ran down the slippery staircase near my bedroom and softly bang the door from inside. Peeking at the peep hole on the door, no one's outside. It was just a hallucination I suppose. I heedlessly stepped into the kitchen. Mom's cleared out all the mess, the dishes and even the left-over cakes. She left, I thought. She must be pretty upset about what I did earlier today.


It was midnight, I heard another knock on the main door. This time I wasn't running, was not that enthusiastic any longer. But this time I was sure my husband's home. I opened the door, and no one was there. I was really exhausted of waiting, so I went up my bed again, this time I opened my day dress and changed into a pyjamas. I was shocked by a beep on my drawer, my husband's drawer. It was his phone. A reminder was blinking on the screen "anniversary surprise now!". I was astonished.


He's been away for a week, and today he's supposed to be home to celebrate my birthday and our anniversary. But he left his phone here in the drawer. Oh, I found a notebook, small notebook below the cell phone. It's my birthday wish-list, which I already had; a beauty case and ball shoes. I've had them. Why would he keep my last year's birthday wish list here? Why did he left his phone? I'm confused.


I heard the door was knocked, for the third times today and this time I was a bit annoyed. I waited until the second knock, and it did happen. So I went down to open it up, not bothered to just shout who's there. Just a minute I was about to open the door, I heard another knock. I opened up, and no one was there. This is really strange. I totally heard someone knocked the door just a few seconds before I opened it.


I headed to the kitchen again, poured myself a warm white milk. Suddenly I remembered; nothing happened today. It was my birthday, and our anniversary. Neither my husband, nor my Mom came to visit me. There was never a birthday cake. And there, I saw my husband's photograph hanging by the wall, with a note below it "Rest in Peace.............." I fainted.




No comments:

Post a Comment